Monday, March 28, 2011

"Where I Lived, and What I Lived For" By Henry David Thoreau


Thoreau, H. (2011). Where I Lived and What I Lived For. In S. Cohen, 50 Essays (pp. 403-409). Boston: Bedford St. Martins.
           
This writing reminds me of a self sufficient life style. The way that Thoreau pointed out his idea of a life style that he wanted to live in the woods was peaceful concept. His idea was to run away from convenient appliances and modern services, which he thought made life is go too fast. He thought that is why we make our lives more complicated in a world that was created by humans. Technology and modern conveniences make the way we live pass paced, instead of just getting along with nature. Thoreau (2011) suggests “Simplify, simplify. Instead of three meals a day, if it be necessary eat but one; instead of a hundred dishes, five; and reduce other things in proportion…. For my part, I could easily do without the post office. I think that there are very few important communications made through it…. What news! How much more important to know what that is which was never old!” (P. 403-409). A lot of people would agree with him including me, but in reality we have to accept that human needs are eternal.  Everyday we are creating new appliances, especially electronic media and technology that makes life go faster than Thoreau would have ever imagined. If he were here today, in the high social media world, I would like to know what he would write in his journal.

2 comments:

  1. I also agree with you. You would probably enjoy reading Thoreau's book Walden, from which this chapter was drawn. It's great!

    ReplyDelete